Friday, February 27, 2009

Modals 1

Verb forms with modal auxiliaries. [Directions: Choose the correct completion.]

1. Mary can ---------- to the meeting. [comes, to come, come]
2. The children should ----------"thank you" when you gave them their gifts. [has said, to have said, have said]
3. I can't find the grocery list. Gail must ---------- it with her when she went out. [has taken, to have taken, have taken]

Making polite requests. [Directions: Change the sentences into polite requests using the words in parentheses]]

4. I want you to hand me that book. [would]
5. I want to borrow your wheelbarrow. [could]
6. I want to have a cup of coffee. [may]

Using would you mind. [ Directions: Using the verb in parentheses, fill in the blank either with if I + past tense or with the -ing form of the verb, as appropriate]

7. A] It's cold in here. Would you mind [close] ---------- the window? B] Not at all. I'd be glad to.
8. A] This story you wrote is really good. Would you mind [show] ---------it to my English teacher? B] Go right ahead. That'd be fine

9. A] Would you mind [take] ---------- the book to the library for me? B] Not all


Answers:
1. come 2. have said 3. have taken 4. Would you [please] hand me that book? 5. Could I [please] borrow your wheelbarrow? 6. May I [please] have a cup of coffee? 7. closing 8. .... if I showed you.... 9. ....taking ..... 10. must not 11. must/have to 12. must/have to 13. ....did Tom have to...14. Did John have to ..... 15. ... don't have to..... 16. .... have had to .....17. ....has had to....18. Don't you have to.... 19. .....had to ..... 20. .....doesn't have to.....


Must [not] and [do not] have to. [Directions: Chooses the correct completion according to meaning.

10. Soldiers ---------- disobey a superior officer. [ must/have to, must not, don't have to]
11. To stay alive, people ----------breathe oxygen. [must/have to, must not, don't have to]
12. To be a successful mountain climber, you ----------have a great deal of stamina. [must/have to, must not, don't have to]

Verb form review. have to [Directions: Complete the sentences with any appropriate form of have to. Include any words in parentheses]

13. Why [Tom] ---------- leave work early yesterday?
14. [John] ----------- buy a round-trip ticket when he went to Egypt?
15. I [not] ----------water the garden later today. Joe has agreed to do it for me.
16. I ----------write three term papers since the beginning of the semester.
17. Matt is nearsighted. He ----------wear glasses ever since he was ten yours old.
18. [you, no] ----------return these books to library today? Aren't they due?
19. Last night Jack ----------go to a meeting. [you]
20. Joan travels to the Soviet Union frequently. Luckily, she speaks Russian, so she [not]-------
rely on an i nterpreter when she's there.

rb